Preservation & Goals
Since its inception in 1967, the St. Vrain Historical Society has sought to preserve historic sites in Longmont which can then be used to foster awareness and appreciation for local history.
Some highlights are:
Helped establish a landmark commission that became a city ordinance to mark places of historic significance in Longmont.
Purchased a blighted area that was the site of a flour mill that burned in 1934 and began the creation of Old Mill Park.
Relocated two 1860s log cabins and reconstructed a milk house for inclusion in the Old mill Park which was dedicated in conjunction with Colorado’s Centennial.
Celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the Chicago-Colorado Colony with a historic ball, a walking tour, and signs to designate structures built before 1900.
Spearheaded a community effort to rescue the Old St. Stephen’s from the wrecking ball and place it on the National Register of Historic Places.
Purchased the 1871 Townley House.
Reassembled the Billings Cabin for Old Mill Park from the Buttonrock dam area.
Restored the 1860s Affolter Cabin at Old Mill Park.
Saved the 1916 Gildner gazebo from demolition by moving it from Coffman St. to Old Mill Park.
Accepted bequests of historic properties which were landmarked for preservation.
Purchased the original farmhouse from the 160 acre Charles Hover Farm established in 1902.
Acquired the other agricultural buildings with the Hover Farmstead and the 1914 Arts & Crafts Hover home.
Sold several acquired properties to benefit the Society.
2000 – 2010:
Replication of the original doors at Old St. Stephen’s Church.
Ongoing restoration and preservation of the Hoverhome, Hover Farmstead, Old Mill Park and Old St. Stephen's.
Current Projects include:
Completing repairs to the Hover Farmstead Creamery building.
Phase III of the Hoverhome restoration project addressing fenestration, doors and deterioration of stained art glass.
Preservation of the 1911 Hoverhome Automobile House.
Erection of security fence at the Hover Farmstead.